This old beautiful abandoned building in Niagara falls was originally called the Dominion Public Building and was owned by the Government of Canada. Over the years it has also been known as “The Palace” and “The Stone Jug” but mainly today it is known as the old post office or the old police station. Built in 1885 for a cost of $30,000 it served originally as a post office (1885 – 1930) and customs house (1885 – 1952 second floor) and as a police station from 1952 to 1976. A furnace explosion in 1927 caused extensive damage and the post office was moved at this point. After repairs were made it operated solely as a customs house. The city purchased the old customs house and in 1952 converted it to a new police station that same year Marilyn Monroe filmed scenes for the movie Niagara in front and inside the old historic building. A fire in the late 70’s heavily damaged the inside of this old abandoned building in Niagara Falls and left it unusable. The old jail cells still remain inside. It is said a dark shadowy figure haunts this place and many claim to see him roaming the property. The building was designated a heritage property and there have been plans for the last few years to restore it, but to date it still lays abandoned and deteriorating.
The location of this old abandoned post office / customs house in Niagara Falls can be found on our abandoned places map.